Friday, September 16, 2011

Brilliant

Katrina Rose is Brilliant!!
When Katrina was a baby I bought into a Infomercial for "Your Baby Can Read" and I bought the complete set! She never really liked the DVDs but she LOVED the flash cards and would ask to do them on a daily basis.
She was talking early and putting sentences together early, so I figure I would start in with other things like letters, colors and shapes.
Let me tell you she picked up her colors and shapes in 2 days flat!! We are still working on her letters but she does know most of them and can even say what sound they make!!
This girl is amazing!!!
She reminds me so much of Carly!! Carly used to sit at the table while Jacob was doing his homework and trace letters!! She was only 3!!

This morning I decided to see what else I could get Katrina doing. I wrote her name large in all capital letters and poured a bowl of Cheerios in a bowl and asked her to come to the table. She did and sat right up and started pointing at letters. She got a couple confused and wasn't sure of a few others but for the most part she did great!! I asked her to place the Cheerios on the letter K and she did. Not along the lines but on the letter K. Then I asked her to find another letter and she did!! She is just amazing!!
When you ask her to count she typically skips the number 1 just like Jacob used to do but she can count all the way up to 16!!

I tried to think back to other things I used to do with Jacob and remembered how we put name tags all over the house. So I started writing things like DOOR and put tape on it and asked her to stick the word on the DOOR after she repeated each of the letters to me. For the most part she got each letter right, but she confuses little a for an o. 

The funny thing was when I wrote the word PHONE and asked her to stick it to the phone she did not want to put it on the house phone. She kept saying NO. I finally asked her "Katrina where is the phone?" to see what she thought a phone was and she went right to Abigails toy box and grabbed the Elmo phone!! It was too cute so I let it slide!!

1 comment:

  1. Merideth: WOW being a MOM in 2011 is so much more than it was back 3+ years ago.....keep up the good work and as I have told you and I see you doing....ENJOY each day. I only hope I did. I pray I did....Miss all that so much!ma

    ReplyDelete