It just came to me that I have never mentioned our 4 legged children!
Smack on the hand! Bad mommy!
When I was about 8 months pregnant with Jacob, one of our 8 cats went missing. Yes you read that right, 8 cats! Long story for another blog post. Anyways Clay and I went to the Raleigh animal shelter to find the cat with no such luck BUT we did come home with an 8 week old puppy that Clay fell in love with. She was a German Sheppard mix pup and just as sweet as can be! On the ride home Clay said "She is so sweet just like a little Angel" and there was her name "ANGEL".
She was our little baby to squeeze and cuddle and love till Jacob got here. Once Jacob got here I was so over the dog factor. I will be completely honest, for a few months, well maybe years I really disliked Angel. It was like having another kid to watch all day. Clay refused to get her fixed so for 2 months of the year I had a baby to diaper and a dog!! She was like another kid, it was like I had twins. I had to potty train her and even got her so well trained she learned to only stay in our yard when out. Anyways she turned out to be an awesome dog! She would follow Jacob around the house and clean up after him, when I would let her out she would do her business then come right back! Oh she was such a good dog!!
One year she got out around Christmas and got pregnant. 60 days later she went into labor. Since she was 6 years old and had never been through the experience before she didn't know what to do. I stayed awake to help her. It was a crazy ordeal. To make the story as short as I can it was just not going the way it was supposed to. I had already given mouth to mouth to one wet and slimy puppy and revived it but I couldn't the next one. We lost 2 puppies that day, we took her into PetSmart to get the rest out. They were able to save 2, all girls! We named our 3 puppies Faith, Mercy and Grace. They were all so sweet and so totally different! After they were 8 weeks old we found homes for Mercy and Grace and kept Faith for ourselves. Faith was a crazy beast! She looked just like Angel but darker and two different colored eyes. Right after Katrina was born we lost Faith to Parvo. It was miserable for Clay and Carly to have to go through. I was in DC with my mom and Katrina visiting. I am honestly glad I was not here to go through it all. Carly still to this day has a hard time with it all.
Angel really was like one of my kids! She protected the kids and us and shared lots of LOVE with us! She would go to the beach house with us and spend our vacation with us. She would drive around with us and always get her own cheeseburger! God I miss her so much!
Last year we lost Angel to cancer. Angel had a mass in one of her tits, its a long story and still really hurts to talk about. There is nothing about it that can be changed now but I really wish we had done so much different. We should have gotten more opinions from different vets. We got the mass removed and everything went down hill from there. Before we had the mass removed she was still running around and fetching balls etc..... Once the mass was removed she went down hill super fast! It was like she just never recovered from the surgery. So we called another vet and took her in for a second opinion. Clay took off work and took her in while I stayed home with the 4 kids, pregnant with #5. When they got home I could read it all over his face. He got down on his knees and broke it to me. I cant say that I have ever cried so hard. I was loosing my first child. He told me she had lung cancer and at this point there was nothing to do but keep her pain free. Each day she just got worse. I took her out every day and bought her either chicken nuggets or a cheeseburger but it got to the point where she wouldn't even eat it. Then one day I was sitting here with the kids and she just started breathing real hard and she gave me this look. It was like she knew it was her time and she just let out this deep breath and laid her head back down. I called Clay he rushed home we all said our good byes and then he loaded her in the Jeep and took off with her to the vet. Angel never came back home. These pictures are our last with Angel.
The next day we put together a little memorial for her out front where she would spend her days.
No comments:
Post a Comment