As the mom of a family of 8 this can be challenging to say the least.
Just picking something that everyone likes and will eat can throw any mom into a tizzy!
And I am a mom that refuses to cook 4 meals each night so my kids learn to eat what I cook when I cook it or breakfast the next day is that much better!! Just sayin........
Typically making dinner can be quite a challenge with having so many little ones. My bigger ones typically help but some nights they have homework or the baby just wants mommy. Recently with each kid taking turns being sick (baby included) the baby has just wanted momma! So cooking dinner has looked a bit like this, cooking for the family (notice baby food at front of stove) while feeding the baby on my hip. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not complaining one bit. If you know me at all you know I LOVE MY LIFE! I wouldn't have it any other way.
With such a "large" family every day is a new adventure. Each day you have to find new ways to make things work. Some things are easier then others. This way of feeding baby just happens to be easier for me. I can stir noodles or vegetables and cook while feeding the baby her baby food. And then when it is time to sit at the table I can actually eat a warm meal instead of then having to feed baby. Baby gets finger foods in her high chair during dinner so she can practice feeding herself. It works out great for me, for baby and our family.Luckily our kids have been really good at trying new foods. I dont know how this has happened so dont ask. I think a lot of it actually didnt start till the older kids had to buy school lunches! HA HA No seriously when they had to buy lunches they had to try new things. Make sense? Trust me we tried packing lunches and still do for the 4 year old in preschool. In all honesty buying school lunch was just a million times easier and yes with so many sometimes you just have to take the "easy road".
Our most common dinners are Spaghetti, Tacos (and then Nachos the next night if there is left over meat), Pork Chops, Tater Tot Casserole and Meat loaf. Gets pretty boring so I do try and switch it up a bit with recipes I find on line. Some have been huge hits, like Stuffed Peppers!! Who woulda thought! Not I!! And some have been big flops like Chicken Cheesey Rice or some such YUCK! HA
Last but not least I have an awesome husband! He usually cooks on Sunday nights which is awesome!! Not only does he like to do it but he likes to try new things with the kids too. He has cooked Shark steaks, Sausage and rice, baby back ribs etc..........
So when people ask "How do you cook for so many?" or "I just dont know how you do it each night." I just have to smile! Its no different then dealing with just one kid or no kids! You just have to do what works for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment